Tips to Maintaining Joy in a Chaotic World
Have you ever had a moment that you felt so full of happiness you could sense it at the depth of your being? As this feeling flowed out of you, it seemed palpable – as if you could touch it. You embodied it and it made you feel free and alive.
That, my friend, is joy.
In today’s world, most people can count their joyful moments on one hand. Joy seems rare and fleeting, but it doesn’t have to be that way. In fact, it’s not supposed to be that way! You were created in the image and likeness of God and God is joy. Therefore, you naturally embody joy.
Joy is your birthright.
Living and maintaining a joyful life isn’t difficult, but it does require practice. I’ve created 5 Tips to help you maintain a state of joy throughout your day.
1. Make a list of Mood Shifters – In a small notebook or journal, make a list of anything that brings you or has brought you joy. You might list an experience, food, people, or a place just to suggest a few. Carry this list with you wherever you go. Pull it out when you are feeling down and focus on each item on your list, one-by-one. As you slowly go through the list, feel and truly recall how each thing makes you feel joyful. Don’t rush through your list. Take your time. Holding that feeling of joy will allow you to absorb and embody it again.
2. Be present – Oftentimes busyness can suck the joy out of your day. Remind yourself to slow down and be present. Put your phone down and use all of your senses (smell, sound, sight, touch, and taste) to savor the joyful moments occurring around you. Admire the tree, touch it, smell the flowers blooming on it, and listen to the wind blowing through the leaves. There are so many miraculous wonders right in front of you! Enjoy them!
3. Smile – Smiling releases endorphins and makes you feel better almost immediately. You’ll be amazed by how many people smile back at you when you are beaming with joy. The connection made between two smiling strangers feels incredible! The illusion of separation disappears and you are once again reminded that we are all One.
4. Take care of yourself – There is no quicker way to suck the joy out of your life than by not taking care of yourself. It is very difficult to focus on joy when you are exhausted and unhealthy. So, take a good look at your life right now. What are the things you MUST do each day, week, month, and year to maintain a healthy mind, body, and soul? For me, I must spend time with God each day, exercise and spend time in nature weekly, connect with my girlfriends once a month, and go on a fun trip every year. Create your list and stick to it!
5. Magnify the right voice – When you read the news and look at the state of our world, it is easy to fall into a state or worry and fear. When you find yourself heading in that direction, it’s a sign that you are magnifying the wrong voice. You are likely subconsciously saying that fear is more powerful than God. When you magnify the right voice, you are reminding yourself that God is in control. Your perspective shifts and you are assured that there is divine purpose within the madness.